News:

This week IPhone 15 Pro winner is karn
You can be too a winner! Become the top poster of the week and win valuable prizes.  More details are You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

Main Menu

Terror chief believed dead in Pakistan missile attack BreakingNews.ie_2515

Started by 0375be77, January 16, 2011, 03:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

0375be77

Terror chief believed dead in Pakistan missile attack You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An al-Qaida explosives and chemical weapons expert and a relative of the terror network’s number-two leader were among three top operatives believed killed in a US missile strike in Pakistan last week, Pakistani security officials said today.
Pakistani authorities have said at least four foreign militants were killed in last Friday’s attack in Damadola village near the Afghan border that officials say targeted – but missed – al-Qaida number-two leader Ayman al-Zawahri.
A security official said three notable al-Qaida figures were in the village at the time of the attack and that their bodies were believed to have been taken away by sympathisers.
He said one of them was Midhat Mursi, an Egyptian.
The US Justice Department cites Midhat Mursi al-Sayid Umar, also known as Abu Khabab al-Masri, as an explosives expert and poisons trainer who trained hundreds of mujahedeen at a terrorist camp in Afghanistan near the eastern city of Jalalabad.
The US agency has said that his exact whereabouts were unknown but that he may be residing in Pakistan, and offered $5m (�4.1m) dollars for information leading to his arrest.
The Pakistani official named two other foreigners as suspected killed in the missile strike: Abu Ubaida, an al-Qaida chief in Afghanistan’s eastern Kunar province,You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, across the border from the strike site; and Abdul Rehman al-Misri, a relative of al-Zawahri, possibly his son-in-law.
He stressed that their bodies have not been found.
“We do not have any evidence to prove that they have been killed, but we have indications that they were there and were among those bodies that were taken away,” said the official. He refused to give further details.
A second Pakistani security official confirmed that agencies were investigating the three names as possible victims of the air strike, which officials say also killed 18 local people.
The Justice Department website says that, since 1999,You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, Mursi has distributed training manuals with recipes for crude chemical and biological weapons. Some of these manuals were recovered by US forces in Afghanistan.
Pentagon officials said they had no information on the reported identities of the dead and CIA spokesman Tom Crispell said the agency could not comment.
Pakistani Interior Minister Aftab Sherpao said that the government does not know the identities of the foreigners believed killed in the missile strike.
“We are still investigating. There’s a possibility that some foreigners were there, but we still do not know,” said Sherpao, who was in New York visiting Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz.
Sherpao said the government had not retrieved the bodies of any of the four foreign militants reported killed in the raid. He said the bodies may have been taken by a local pro-Taliban cleric, Maulana Faqir Mohammed, who also is being hunted by authorities.
Provincial authorities said sympathisers took the bodies of four or five foreign militants to bury them in the mountains near the Afghan border, thereby preventing their identification.
“Efforts are under way to investigate further,” said Shah Zaman Khan, director general of media relations for Pakistan’s tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.
He said authorities were also looking for Faqir Mohammed and another prominent pro-Taliban cleric accused of harbouring militants. Both men were allegedly in Damadola and survived the assault.
Intelligence officials say al-Zawahri is thought to have sent some of his aides in his place to an Islamic holiday dinner to which he’d been invited in Damadola on the night of the attack.
Hours after the attack, an Associated Press reporter visited the village,You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, which consists of half a dozen widely-scattered houses on a hillside four miles from the Afghan border.
Residents said then that all the dead were local people and that no one had taken any bodies away. However, it appeared feasible bodies or wounded people could have been spirited away in the darkness after the attack, which took place about 3am.
Pakistan maintains it was not given advance word of the airstrike, reportedly carried out by unmanned Predator drones flying from Afghanistan, and has condemned it as killing innocent civilians.
Thousands have taken to the streets to protest the attack,You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, denouncing the US and Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf, who ended Pakistan’s support of the Taliban regime in late 2001 and has himself been targeted by al-Qaida attacks.
Related Stories:
Al-Qaida

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
To verify you are not a bot, how much is 1 + 4 ?:
To verify you are not a bot, how much is two plus two?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview